Why should you microchip your pet? Because it’s a simple, affordable, and painless procedure. And if your pet is ever lost, the chip will greatly increase your chances of a happy reunion. There are amazing, inspiring stories of how microchips help pets return to their owner’s arms, but just like anything, success is never a 100% guarantee.
Here’s everything you need to know about microchipping your pet and how it can help bring them home if they are ever lost.
- Microchipping is easy. The microchip is implanted with a needle, usually between your pet’s shoulder blades, in a quick and painless operation.
- The chip can contain all the info you need. A veterinarian or animal shelter that scans your pet will be able to easily access all the information they need to reach you.
- Register your microchip with up-to-date info. After the microchip is implanted, you have to register it and keep the info updated.
- Microchipping makes your pet easier to find. There are success stories across the country of owners being reunited with their lost pets. Here’s just one of our stories.A cat named “Maddie” lived in Kalispell, MT. She was lost while on a vacation with her family in Coeur d’ Alene, ID in July 2016. They put flyers up and went back looking for her multiple times. In August some kind people brought her into our hospital to be scanned for a microchip. She had somehow hitched a ride in the back of a semi-truck all the way to Idaho Falls. Happily, due to being microchipped, she was able to be reunited with her family.
- The microchip must be scanned. The chip has to be scanned to work- it’s not a GPS device.
- Microchips sometimes move. Make sure to ask your vet at your pet’s annual checkup to scan for the microchip to make sure it’s where it should be.
- Microchips are not a replacement for a collar and tags. If your pet is lost, the person who finds him or her might not know anything about microchips.
- Use common sense. Keep an eye on your pet, use a leash, and keep your yard’s fences secure.
Pet moms work hard to keep their pets fed, groomed, active and healthy. Honor Mother’s Day this year by microchipping your pet children. Call a veterinary in idaho falls today to schedule an appointment and ask about our May microchipping special!