Oral care is extremely important for your dog’s health. And because brushing their teeth can be unpleasant for both of you, it is a good idea to consider the modern alternatives. Dental treats for dogs are one of the best options for preventing diseases, while keeping them active and happy.
There are two major benefits of taking care of your dog’s teeth and gums – it helps improve their oral health, prevent diseases and reduces bad breath. In order to maintain healthy gums and teeth, the dog needs to chew actively. Studies show that the natural action of chewing, combined with specially designed dental chews that are treated with particular substances, can isolate calcium on the teeth.
What are the most popular dental treats for dogs?
There are many dental treats for dogs that can help keep the teeth and the gums of your pet healthy. When choosing the best ones, you should consider the size of your dog and the condition of their teeth. Puppies, for example, need softer materials because they use their gums to ease the teething discomfort. Adults, on the other hand, need tougher materials, and the size of the treat has to match the size of the dog to do its job effectively.
There are three main types of treats – raw chews, biscuits and bones and chew toys.
• Raw chews include natural hides of horses and cows and are available in various shapes and sizes.
• Bones and biscuits play a double role – they help ensure a balanced diet and keep the teeth and gums clean and healthy. They are small, and this makes them easy to break.
• Chew toys cannot be eaten, but they can help the dog keep its teeth healthy by removing plaque. They are a great alternative if your pet eats bones and natural hides before they do their job.
How To Select The Proper Dental Treats for Dogs
Good dental treats for dogs come from reliable providers, while bad ones include dangerous toxins, so you need to check the label carefully. They are both effective, so it’s important that they follow the standards imposed by the Veterinary Oral Health Council.
In order to fulfil the chewing requirements of your dog, the product you purchase needs to meet these 6 criteria:
• Make the dog feel happy when chewing it;
• Reach the gums and jaws in order to clean them;
• Visibly remove plaque or prevent it from forming;
• Satisfy the dog’s need to chew;
• Be antibiotic and steroid free;
• Made of organic ingredients.
Some dental chews come with different tastes in order to make them more appealing. In order to provide your dog with the best choice, select those that include chicken or beef in the ingredient list. If the treats are edible, choose those that contain vitamins C and E, because these are natural preservatives.
Dental chews come in different shape and sizes in order to meet the needs of all dog breeds. Though they are labeled according to the type and size of the dog, it is not a good idea to rely only on that.
If your dog chews and swallows its treat in a matter of seconds, it means that it was completely useless for its oral health. On the other hand, the ones that require a decent amount of time to chew them are the ones that clean their teeth effectively. This is why you need to analyse how your dog reacts to the dental chew in order to decide which one is best for it.
Still need help choosing the best dental treats for your dog? Call our office today to schedule an appointment and we can discuss your best options. If it’s time for your dog’s annual checkup, call our office today!